Courtney Reum is an innovator with impact towards global change. In April 2016, Courtney co-founded M13, a brand development and investment company accelerating businesses at the nexus of consumer products, technology, and media. M13 focuses on building emerging entrepreneurial businesses in Los Angeles, leading more than $100 million of investments over the next 5 years.
Courtney Reum began his career as an investment banker at Goldman Sachs in New York working with such brands as Procter & Gamble, Under Armour and Vitamin Water.
Check out the story on how Courtney went from that to being featured in Forbes “30 Under 30” list, and Inc’s “500 fastest growing private companies in America”.
- None of Courtney’s parents were entrepreneurs, he grew up as risk adverse seeing his parents living in “security”.
- The whole spirit of entrepreneurship manifested when he became an investment banker at Goldman Sachs.
- He grew up in a rural suburb of Chicago called Wayne, Illinois. His father, Robert Reum, was the former CEO of Amsted Industries, and was also a member of the Yale Bulldogs basketball team during its infamous 1962 season.
- Reum studied economics & philosophy, and graduated with distinction from Columbia University, where he was a member of the Varsity Men’s Soccer Team. He is also an alumnus of Harvard Business School. He is a columnist for Inc Magazine, and was added to the board of directors of Los Angeles Opera in September 2015. He also serves as commissioner of the Los Angeles Convention Center & Tourism Authority.
- M13 derives its name from Messier 13, the brightest cluster of stars in the galaxy whereby the collection of stars shines brighter than the sum of its individual parts.
- It is a brand development and investment company that accelerates businesses at the nexus of consumer products, technology, and media. It works by investing in startups and working with existing companies to grow new brands using a specific and proven playbook. It seeks to leverage experience, access, and unique advantages to dramatically accelerate the growth of businesses.
Get In Touch
Purchase the book “Shortcut Your Startup: Speed Up Success with Unconventional Advice from the Trenches” here.
Show Notes Timestamps
[03:10] Victor welcomes guest, Courtney Reum.
[03:30] Courtney shares how entrepreneurship started in his life.
[04:44] He shares about how he felt on his first time sitting at the Under Armour’s Board Room.
[05:35] What Courtney studied at before Investment Banking.
[06:40] On transitioning out of investment banking…
[08:06] Veev, Courtney’s first venture.
[09:10] Veev to M13.
[11:10] Victor asks Courtney about the biggest mistakes company do in starting up a business.
[14:20] Focus on what you’re doing, but not putting the blinders on to some other things that might be a key inside.
[16:58] What’s his next plan?
[19:07] The biggest strengths of Courtney.
[20:45] He shares about how he keeps his head on the “game”.
[24:00] Victor shares about what a day looked like to other big entreprenuers.
[25:30] The books, readings, and authors that made a big impact on Courtney.
[26:45] Where is Courtney in two years, and what is he doing?
[28:10] Keeping in touch with Courtney Reum, and his book.